Beyond The Liner Notes - January 18, 2019
Sometimes. a new slant on a song or a new situation for a song propels it onto the charts - or reintroduces it. This week we look at covers that made a big impact. The song Unchained Melody was from a movie that didn't attract much attention, but the song did. At one time, four different versions were on the charts at the same time. The TV show ER used a Hawaiian version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow for a dramatic scene, and created a huge following for the singer Iz. Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah has become the standard, and Bob Dylan liked the Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower so much he changed how he sang it.
Brian Renner is away this week; P. T. Bridgeport and Leigh Rich host an hour of covers, and discuss some of the fascinating stories behind them. Join us.
- 10:41am Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers on 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: The Best Of (Polydor), 1965
- 11:00am All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix on Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection (MCA), 1968
- 11:06am Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley on Grace (Legacy Edition) (Columbia), 1994
- 11:13am Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor) by Robert Palmer on 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection - The Best Of Robert Palmer (Universal Island Records), 1978
- 11:21am Across The Universe - Remix by Rufus Wainwright on Poses (Interscope Records), 2002
- 11:26am It's My Life by No Doubt on The Singles 1992-2003 (Interscope Records), 2003
- 11:34am Say Something by Pentatonix on Say Something - Single (RCA Records), 2014
- 11:39am The Sound of Silence by Disturbed on Immortalized (Deluxe Version) (Reprise Records), 2015
- 11:44am Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole on Alone in IZ World (Mountain Apple), 2001
- 11:51am High Flyin' Bird by Richie Havens on The Classics (Rebound Records), 1995